We have recently made some significant progress in creating a new and more colourful worship area. From the very beginning, our aim has been to ensure that Portholme Church is not just given a facelift but is renewed and ready for worship in the 21st century.
All the chairs were re-upholstered early in the autumn and the upgrades to our audio visual equipment were completed just before Christmas.
This year, the sanctuary cross has been given its new wooden surround. The cross is now much more prominent and, pleasingly, the feedback has all been positive.
New wall banners have been produced and are now in place on the walls. Copies of the new “Portholme Church” banner, which was made for us by Yvonne Bell*, are available as bookmarks.
Visitors to Portholme Church cannot miss the new artwork that is on display in the foyer. We hope the pictures will prove spiritually uplifting and inspirational – we’re looking forward to hearing people’s reactions.
The installation of our new LED lighting has now been completed. Besides giving a brighter light in the Sanctuary, the new units will give us savings of over 80% on electricity
This is the full list of work that has already been completed or is still being undertaken:
- Re-upholster all the sanctuary chairs ✓
- Build a new removable communion rail ✓
- Highlight the sanctuary cross with a bold wood surround ✓
- Craft new furniture – communion table, book stand, lecterns and flower stands ✓
- Upgrade the existing audio visual system ✓
- Install energy-efficient LED lighting ✓
- Replace the sanctuary and foyer carpets ✓
- Install wall banners and artwork to proclaim our faith in a dramatic way ✓
*You can see more of Yvonne Bell’s work by visiting her website: Yvonne Bell: Christian Art and Church Vestments